Sermon in Song
Seasonal
   Services
Daily Devotion
Recommend Us
Submit Services
Stats

Who's Online

There are currently, 47 guest(s) and 0 member(s) that are online.

You are Anonymous user. You can register for free by clicking here

MySite.com :: View topic - WHAT OCCUPATION WROTE HYMN WRITTER HAVE-ANSWERS WITH STORIES
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WHAT OCCUPATION WROTE HYMN WRITTER HAVE-ANSWERS WITH STORIES

View previous topic :: View next topic  
honary

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:03 pm    Post subject: WHAT OCCUPATION WROTE HYMN WRITTER HAVE-ANSWERS WITH STORIES Reply with quote

Which one did they write.

OCCUPATION.......................................................HYMNS

PRESIDENT'S BODY GUARD ......................L. O MASTER, LET ME WALK
WITH THEE
He was't either, his grandfather was! But he was named "Washington" Gladden. One day while the post-Civil War racial and economic injustice was rampart, and during this terrible time, Rev. Gladden sat alone, and wrote this hymn.

INFLUENCED BILLY GRAHAM ......................J. I SURRENDER ALL
Little did Judson Wheeler Van De Venter know what this hymn would do.
It came from out of his experience of a fight to let God have his way in him. Finally, on his knees he surrendered to God and wrote the hymn. Years later he began to teach hymnology and the the students loved him. He opened his home to them and there they would sing and have a time with the Lord. One of these students was Billy Graham who later wrote about these experiences and the influence Judson had on his life. We never know the influence we will have on someone, good or bad, so be godly.

PASTOR WHOSE FAMILY DIED IN A FIRE........F. HE KEEPS ME SINGING
Luther Bridgers had a revival to preach, which was near his wives parents home, so he took them their. Oh, the children were excited. While he was at the revival, during the night, a great fire engulfed his wives parents home, and his wife and three children all died in the fire. Out of this dark experience and the years that followed came this song, "HE KEEPS ME SINGING".

SKILLED CARPENTER....................................O. THE SOLID ROCK
OWNED CABINET SHOP
Out of poverty and a godless home, Edward Mote finally came to know the Lord. He became a skilled carpenter andthen became the owner of his own cabinet shop. One day he decided he wanted to write a hymn about the 'Glorious Experience of a Christ'.He later became a pastor and when his health began to fail he said, "I think I am going to heaven' yes, I am nearing port."

SALVATION ARMY LEADER ............................K. THE OLD RUGGED CROSS
As a poor young child, whose dad had died, the Salvation Army began to help his family. From this influence George Bennard determined to minister in the Salvation Army. And this he did! He later started do evangelistic work and desire to understand the cross of Christ and it's power worked in his mind and heart. For years he carried words that would come to him, he polishing them, and sometimes even singing them. Finally, he sang it for some friends who helped him with the money so that he could have it published.

BLACK MUSICIAN ......................................G. PRECIOUS LORD, TAKE MY HAND
Tommy Dorsey drifted far away from God and began to compose jazz and blues songs and begame involved in godless things. But then, through some near death experiences, God called him back to Himself, and he began to write gospel songs and sing for churches. One night while in a revival he was handed a telegram. His wife and new born baby had both died! He cried out,"God, you aren't worth a dime to me right now". However, a few weeks later, as he sat at a piano, he created the words and music for "Precious Lord". The next Sunday at Ebenezer Baptist church in South Chicago, he accompanied the choir as they sang his new song. "It tore up the church". He later said, "My business is to try to bring people to Christ instead of leaving them where they are."

BASEBALL PLAYER TO TEACHER TO DOCTOR ...P. STANDING ON THE PROMISES
Russell Carter was an athlete, educator, rancher, preacher, and physician. For years he would do nothing about a heart problem. Finally it took him near the grave and then he remembered about "the prayer of faith". He prayed in his mothers room and then went to Chicago, hardly able to walk, but determined to go to a friend who believed in healing faith. Three days later he resumed his college work and God's healing power worked.

PROFESSOR WHO AS A
CHILD HAD MENTAL PROBLEMS.........................I. AT CALVARY
In such terrible mental problems, William Newells parents didn't know
what to do. Finally, they went to the president of Moody Bible Institude
and asked for help. His reply, "This is a school not a reformatory".
But, after a while, he allowed William to go to school if he would come to the his office everyday. This William did and improvement began. Believe it or not, he was even asked to teach there. He wanted to write his testimony and one day he was walking to teach and words began to flood his mind. He went into an empty classroom and wrote the words. As he came out he ran into Dr. Daniel Towner, the Director of Music Department, and gave him the words. When he finished his class Dr. Towner handed him the music and told him, "This will be this best song you are I will ever write".

CAPTAIN OF SLAVE SHIP ...................................N. AMAZING GRACE
Though he began at his mother's knee to memorize Bible verses,
after her death he fell deeper and deeper into sin. He deserted the
Navy, was caught and flogged, then vacillated between murder and
suicide and evidentually ended up a captain of a slave ship. He would
go to Africa, catch the people, kill the ill, and put the others on
the ship in the depth of stink and little food. Then one night he was
jolted awake by a brutal storm and in the peril that followed, He cried
out to the Lord. He later wrote, "That tenth of March is a day much
remembered by me; and I never suffered it to pass unnoticed since 1748-
the Lord came from on high and delivered me out of deep water".
He became a powerful evaglical preacher and the writer of our hymn.

CLOWN..................... M. WHEN THEY RING THOSE GOLDEN BELLS
First, a clown for Barnum and Bailey monstous circus that took
85 railroad box cars to transport the over 1000 workers and equipment.
Later, he began his own circus, and with great success. But a terrible
fire burned every thing up. From here he went to join Buffalo Bill's
famous Wild West Show. He used all my talkens from magic, acting,
ventriloqueist and singing. But He didn't have the gift of taking care of
his money. He ended up living in a forsaken schoolhouse. Here he
realized he must prepare for eternity with his Savior. Out of this
time he wrote "When They Ring Those Golden Bells for You and Me".

DRUGGIST.................................................... C. SWEET BY AND BY
The owner of a drug store, Sanford Bennett was working when a friend
came in deep in the blues and down. Sanford ask Joseph Webster,
what was the matter. "Oh, it doesn't matter, it will pass by and by".
Sanford went over to a desk and began to write, when he finished he
gave the piece of paper to Joe and said, "Here's your perscription, Joe,
I hope it works". It did for Joe, a musician, vocalist, and had written songs with Sanford went home and wrote, "Sweet By and By".

WIFE-MOTHER-WIDOW.......................................A. TIS SO SWEET
Home from the mission field, the two missionaries had a busy summer
studying and preparing to return to their ministry. One Saturday
they decided to go out to the beach and have a picnic with their
daughter. While there, they heard a cry from the ocean. A little boy
was crying as the waves took him further out into the sea. Mr. Stead
began to swim to the boy, but then the boy caused them both to drown.
Yes, right before his wife and his daughter. For months, the little daughter cried herself to sleep. Not long after, Mrs. Stead was totally out of money, none for the rent, or food. As she went to the porch to pray, their were bags of food and money was stuch down in the bags. When she went back in the house she sat down at the kitchen table and wrote, "Tis so sweet to trust in Jesus". Later she and her daughter returned to the mission field.

JEWISH SONG WRITER........................D. THE LOVE OF GOD 3rd VERSE
Probably the oldest poetry in a hymn, the third verse of this was from
a hymn written by a Jewish songwriter, Rabbi Mayer, in Worms, Germany.
The poem was written in 1096, in the Arabic langueage. The lines, in revised form, were found on a wall of a patient's room in an insane asylum after the patient 's death. Many believe the patient had a time of sanity and adapted what is now the third verse of the "Love of God".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MySite.com Forum Index -> Hymn Story Dramas All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: